Toddler approved protein pancakes...the best!

Do you ever have a hard time getting your kids to eat anything other than cereal for breakfast? Well, we all know that breakfast is important, especially for kids who are headed off to school to use their brains to learn new things every day.  Breaking an all night fast with a sugary cereal, pop tart or waffle and syrup is not ideal for a growing brain, let alone a growing body. Being both gluten and dairy free helps us get in the good foods because we avoid most processed "gluten free" foods by cooking most things from scratch. But breakfast, in the morning is always a challenge, especially when we need to get in some protein for growing bones and muscles...both the kids' and ours :)

I have made tons of different types of protein pancakes. Many of them were ones that I can eat every day, some I was just getting through telling myself they're pancakes (mostly the super high protein/no carb ones) but I still like them, they are good...but a 3 year old has a different idea of what a pancake is. Fluffy, a little more substance, and sweet flavor. 
So here it is friends! The recipe for the pancakes:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup mashed overripe bananas about 2
1 cup vanilla almond milk
1cup oat flour (I did my oats finely ground in the food processor)
1 to 1 1/2 scoop About Time vanilla protein powder*
1tsp baking powder
coconut oil as needed

Directions: 
Mix oats and baking powder with the milk and mashed banana. Mix well.  Add in 1/2 scoop or so of protein powder, mix well again. Scoop by 1/4 cup fulls onto greased heated pan. (I added a teaspoon or so to the pan for each pancake as they got a bit stuck and I like crispy.) If it fluffs up or is a weird constancy then add some milk (this could be your protein powder). After cooking a few for the kiddo I added a whole scoop of powder to the rest of the batter for myself and added a splash of milk to thin it out then cooked the rest. *you can leave out the protein all together, but I am always trying to get more protein into my kid's any my own diet

We didn't top with anything, the super ripe banana is just sweet enough to make it good to eat without adding more sugary substances...though if you need then local honey would be tasty!
 It made about 6 pancakes....G's were cut into an Easter egg shape since she thought that would make it taste better...
I hope you all enjoy it! MMMMM

This recipe was adapted from Oven Haven blog here: http://ovenhaven.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/toddler-tuesdays-banana-pancakes-no-eggs-no-dairy-no-sugar/#comment-9991

No comments:

Post a Comment